Fiscally nuts. Socially insane.

Monday, March 3, 2008

Shit Hits the Fan in South America

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez threatened to join the rebels in a war to overthrow hard-line Colombian President Alvaro Uribe, a key ally of the United States, deploying tanks, fighter jets and thousands of troops along the Colombian border.

Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa also ordered troops to the border, expelled Colombia's ambassador and recalled its ambassador to Bogota, but left its embassy open. Venezuela closed its embassy in Colombia and ordered all diplomats home.


Uhh, funny thing... I'll actually be in Ecuador in April (yes, I know that means I won't be able to post for a week). It may also mean I die, but if I don't, you can expect a long piece on how I almost did. Hopefully tension releases by then. If not, pray for me.

Oh, and the original article is here. Reynolds links further to others with more information. Anti-American feelings are rising, at least among the leadership in Ecuador. It doesn't seem as much like anti-American as pro-Venezuelan, but maybe I'm just making excuses.

No comments: