Fiscally nuts. Socially insane.

Saturday, January 5, 2008

A Message from the Deceased

Andrew Olmsted died at war in Iraq, and left this message with a friend to be posted on his blog. A brief excerpt:

"I wish I could say I'd at least started to get it right. Although, in my defense, I think I batted a solid .250 or so. Not a superstar, but at least able to play in the big leagues. I'm afraid I can't really offer any deep secrets or wisdom. I lived my life better than some, worse than others, and I like to think that the world was a little better off for my having been here. Not very much, but then, few of us are destined to make more than a tiny dent in history's Green Monster. I would be lying if I didn't admit I would have liked to have done more, but it's a bit too late for that now, eh? The bottom line, for me, is that I think I can look back at my life and at least see a few areas where I may have made a tiny difference, and massive ego aside, that's probably not too bad."


I recommend reading the whole thing. Good stuff, and it brings a tear to your eye. Please, no politics on this one.

2 comments:

queenie said...

I read the whole thing....wow. Taking in his words, it is so hard to believe he is really dead. Truly a selfless hero.

Richard Johnson said...

I have no words, only sadness.

:(